This project is coordinated by the Midpeninsula Community Media Center, located in Palo Alto, CA. It is made possible with support from the Silicon Valley Community Foundation and its initiative on Immigrant Integration.
Our project has a number of goals:
- Compile, present and share stories related to immigration that build bridges of interest, empathy and commonality among Silicon Valley residents
- Compile, present and share stories related to immigration that generate a positive understanding of the ways that immigrants build the strength and vitality of the U.S. and the Silicon Valley area in particular
- Compile a bank of stories related to immigration that can be used in strategic ways as an educational activity or tool in classrooms, and/or a resource for policymakers, and the press.
- To develop an online resource that can be a springboard for offshoot projects. These might include stories that describe an historical event through the eyes of participants, or stories focused on a particular community, neighborhood or demographic group that is facing a specific, immigrant-related challenge.
- Encourage children and adults to talk to elders to record family history
- Record immigrant stories to paint a picture of local history and an historical archive
- Teach students interviewing and writing skills